Bathing Pool Housing Site
We the undersigned petition the council to to request: (A) that the Council does not proceed with proposals to erect 152 dwellings on its land at Seaside Road; and (B) that the Council actively and fully engages with the local community and other existing and potential recreational users of the site to develop an agreed plan for its future use.
• The land is currently well used for recreational activities, including on a recently refurbished play area, by local residents and visitors to the area;
• It is the only stretch of open recreational land on the Borough seafront which is not divided from the sea by roads or carparks and has the potential for greater recreational use;
• An economic residential development of the site will be prevented by the ground conditions, including the remains of the former Lido, the age and position of underground services, the presence of SWA overspill tanks, and the constraints and costs of flood risk prevention;
• A large scale residential development would be over-bearing for the residents of Seaside Road and would result in unacceptable environmental damage from vehicular access along inadequate roads;
• Council finances and manpower should not be wasted on progressing the existing unrealistic proposals;
• Local residents should not have to put up with continuing uncertainty about the future of the site;
• Engagement with local residents and site users has been at best perfunctory and it appears that in any case no account has so far been taken of any representations that have been made.
This ePetition runs from 29/11/2018 to 31/01/2019.
33 people have signed this ePetition.