Ground Floor Shop & Premises, 379 London Road (HS/FA/19/00220)
Change of use of existing lower ground floor from B1 (Business) to one bedroom flat (C3) and erection of single storey rear extension
Yes Application by Councillor
The Planning Services Manager, Mrs Evans, presented the application for change of use of existing lower ground floor from B1 (Business) to one bedroom flat (C3) and erection of single storey rear extension.
The application seeks permission for the change of use of the existing lower ground floor of No.379 London Road from B1 (office) to residential accommodation C3 use as a one bedroom flat. It is also proposed to erect a small, single storey, infill extension at the rear of the premises. The Planning Services Manager said the application would cause no harm to the character of the area.
Councillors were shown plans, photographs and elevations of the application site.
The Committee asked questions of the Planning Services Manager.
A concern was raised regarding the deterioration of the unmade access road to the rear of property caused by works vehicles. The Planning Services Manager understood the concern but noted that it is difficult to quantify the harm caused by specific vehicles.
In response to a question the Planning Services Manager confirmed that the applicant’s submission stated that the premises is not an active shop and has been unoccupied since the beginning of the year.
Councillor Edwards proposed a motion, seconded by Councillor Marlow-Eastwood, to grant the application as set out in the resolution below.
RESOLVED – (8 for, 1 against) that Full Planning Permission be granted subject to the following conditions:
1. The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
2. The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans:
00A, 01 & 02.
3. Prior to occupation the bin stores as shown on drawing 00A are to be provided with evidence being submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The bin stores shall then be retained on site thereafter for the use of residents.
4. With the exception of internal works the building works required to carry out the development allowed by this permission must only be carried out within the following times:-
08.00 - 18.00 Monday to Friday
08.00 - 13.00 on Saturdays
No working on Sundays or Public Holidays.
1. This condition is imposed in accordance with the provisions of Section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
2. For the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of proper planning.
3. To safeguard the amenity of adjoining and future residents.
4. To safeguard the amenity of adjoining residents.
Notes to the Applicant
1. Failure to comply with any condition imposed on this permission may result in enforcement action without further warning.
2. Statement of positive engagement: In dealing with this application Hastings Borough Council has actively sought to work with the applicant in a positive and proactive manner, in accordance with paragraph 38 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
3. The proposal may be a material change of use to which the Building Regulations 1991 apply and a building regulation submission may be necessary before the change of use takes place.
4. Consideration should be given to the provision of a domestic sprinkler system.
- MAP_HS_FA_19_00220 Ground Floor 379 London Road, item 147b PDF 690 KB
- HS-FA-19-00220 Ground Floor Shop & Premises, 379 London Road, item 147b PDF 92 KB