Proposed Variation of the Anti Social Behaviour Public Spaces Protection Order
The Assistant Director, Environment and Place presented a report to summarise consultation feedback on proposals to update the Anti-social Behaviour Public Spaces Protection Order (ASB PSPO); agree changes to the draft ASB PSPO; and seek approval for the Chief Legal Officer to update and extend the ASB PSPO in accordance with regulations published by the Secretary of State.
The current proposals for varying the ASB PSPO result from an analysis of complaints from residents, businesses and visitors to the town received since the existing ASB PSPO came into force. Plus feedback from council services and local stakeholders.
The proposed changes to the ASB PSPO and details of the consultation process were included in the Assistant Director’s report.
Councillors debated the report and noted that the Council required more support from the police on issues such as street drinking. The Assistant Director informed the Cabinet that he and the Director of Operational Services will be meeting Chief Inspector Sarah Godley to discuss the issues raised.
In response to a question it was confirmed that PSPOs cannot be used to tackle rough sleeping or homelessness.
Councillor Rogers proposed approval of the recommendations of the report, seconded by Councillor Chowney.
1) Cabinet authorise the Chief Legal Officer to vary the existing ASB PSPO by replacing it with the updated version at appendix 6, and to extend it by 3 years from 9th July 2019, in accordance with regulations published by the Secretary of State.
2) Cabinet authorise the Chief Legal Officer to correct any minor drafting errors that may be identified, and make minor amendments including deletions and insertions that may be necessary to ensure the ASB PSPO is accurate.
Reasons for the decision:
PSPOs are made under the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, and are valid for up to 3 years. The existing ASB PSPO came into force on 12th June 2017 enabling the council and the police to address serious anti-social behaviour in specified public places. PSPOs can be varied and extended, and changes to patterns of ASB in Hastings since summer 2017 have resulted in the need to review and update the council’s ASB PSPO.
- Proposed Variation of the Anti Social Behaviour Public Spaces Protection Order, item 185. PDF 227 KB
- App1Map Extent of existing proh on gen ASB compared with Borough-wide extn, item 185. PDF 7 MB
- App2Map Extent of existing proh on alcohol n Public Spaces compared with proposed extn, item 185. PDF 2 MB
- App3Map Existing and proposed ban on overnight sleeping, item 185. PDF 2 MB
- App4 (a) Map Proposed updated ASB PSPO incl assoc maps, item 185. PDF 294 KB
- App4(b) Map Proposed updated ASB PSPO inc assoc maps, item 185. PDF 12 MB
- App5 Consultation feedback from Liberty, item 185. PDF 351 KB
- App6 Final Version ASB PSP Order, item 185. PDF 112 KB
- App6(b) Final Version of ASB PSPO, item 185. PDF 5 MB
- App6(a) Final version of ASB PSPO, item 185. PDF 11 MB