Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: Tressell (3rd Floor) - Muriel Matters House, Breeds Place, Hastings TN34 3UY. View directions
Contact: Cherry Longley
Items No. Item
John Bownas and Peter Rolfe, Love Hastings Ltd.
Matters Arising - Actions:
Page 2 Item 2 – Shoplifting: John Bownas had issued the meeting with images of the ‘top ten’ known offenders, which he later prioritised in a further email the worst five. Aidan agreed to discuss these further with John Bownas as a couple of those persons are believed to no longer be operative. Action Aidan Cornwall/John Bownas
The group felt that regarding shoplifting the onus of responsibility lies with the shops involved, and that from an enforcement perspective it fell to the Police not the council.
Paul confirmed that he had briefed the Wardens team regarding patrols.
Page 2 Item 3 Hotspot Patrols: This item is on the agenda.
Page 2 Item 4 Food Handouts: This item awaiting John Bownas’ update. Paul confirmed that he had briefed the CCTV team.
Page 3 Item 5 – Information/Data Sharing: Chris advised that HBC holds several documents some of which are old and she will need to review all of these. Action Christine Barkshire Jones
Page 4 Item 5 – Evidence Gathering: Paul confirmed he had briefed the Wardens team.
Page 4 Item 7 – Legal Paperwork: Rob confirmed that he had sent the templates on to Aidan, who advised that the Police have already issued a few.
Page 5 Item 7 HBC Enforcement Policy & Constitution: This item is on the agenda.
Page 6 Item 10 Blue Light Project: This item is on the agenda.
Page 7 Item 18 Off-Licences Licensing Conditions Breaches: Mike has a 1-2-1- with Bob Brown this afternoon and will raise the issues discussed. Bob will liaise with Aidan in due course.
Identified Hotspots - Update
a) Joint Patrolling of Hotspots by Police/HBC Wardens (Aidan Cornwall/Paul Cosson)
b) The Roundel area
c) Wellington Square
d) Bus Stops/Lower Queens Road area
e) Robertson Terrace/Carlisle Parade
f) Relocation of free food hand-outs, Debenhams plc
Joint Patrolling of Hotspots by Police/Wardens: Aidan/Paul have liaised exchanging emails etc. There is now a list of the top five persistent offenders in relation to street drinking. Some of the persons are street drinkers with no ASB issues. Some who instigate problems (i.e. the person who starts the bar-b-ques in Wellington Square) are not always present in these locations. John suggested it may be useful for Paul/Aidan to send details to him for onward contact with the Drug and Alcohol services as they could well be engaging with those services. Action Paul/Aidan/John
Issues mainly occur in the Queens Road/Roundel and Wellington Square areas. Patrols are being carried out and enforcement is being escalated. Three of the most prolific known drinkers have been issued with CWPNs by the Wardens and Police. A CPN could be issued in the next 10 days, if breached, proceed to the courts.
The Roundel Area: As above.
Wellington Square: On the whole this area has been quieter as it has been subject to more enforcement by Wardens and Police. Resident Trevor Berry constantly complains about this area. Agreed that Paul will visit him. Action Paul Cosson
Agreed that the CCTV room will keep an eye on the area during the evenings. Action Paul Cosson (Wardens)
Chris advised that she is going to see if Wellington Square can be included in the pleasure grounds clause which would prevent bar-b-ques etc. in that area. Action Christine Barkshire Jones
Bus Stops/Lower Queens Road: Subject to regular Warden patrols, and there appears to have been some improvements as a result.
Robertson Terrace/Carlisle Parade: Paul and Aidan advised that this area remains clear.
Relocation of Free Food Hand-outs, outside Debenhams plc: Awaiting feedback from John Bownas.
Action John Bownas
Added Hotspot – Central St. Leonards: Problem areas here appear to be outside the Church, outside the Co-Op and shelters in London Road. The group briefly discussed this and felt perhaps there could be displacements from other town centre areas. Agreed that the Wardens team will keep a watching brief. Any homelessness to be referred to Michael Courts, in HBC Housing team.
Action Paul Cosson (Wardens)
Enforcement / Legal Action - Update
· HBC Enforcement Policy & Constitution (Chris Barkshire Jones)
· Legal paperwork
HBC Enforcement Policy & Constitution: Chris advised that she is currently working on this. Chris plans to revoke what is no longer required and revise what we currently need. Agreed that Chris and Mike will meet to discuss further once Chris has produced a draft. Action Christine Barkshire Jones/Mike Hepworth
CCTV Policy: Paul advised that this requires review. Agreed that Paul send Chris the data sharing agreement (which is unsigned). Action Paul Cosson
Legal Paperwork: Outstanding paperwork was completed this morning (noted that this is mainly concerning Sea Road). Chris expressed her thanks to Rob Cowan/Paul Cosson/Michael Courts for the hard work put in to achieve this.
Information/Data Sharing (Chris Barkshire Jones/Paul Cosson)
As discussed under “Notes of Last Meeting” – see item 2.
Community Facility for Street Drinkers
Mike reiterated that the council is not actively pursuing this. However if someone or some business wishes to present a proposal the council will consider it.
This will be discussed at a future in-house operational services management team.
Blue Light Project - Update (John Whittington)
The Blue Light initiative is run by Alcohol Change. There are 20 so far in the country providing assertive outreach for the street community. A consultant is keen to come and talk to the council to provide more information.
John advised the meeting about a funding proposal for a Community Street Outreach Worker for Arun/Worthing. A final, 4 year evaluation of the Street Community Outreach Keyworker role, is due to be published in August. John will meet the PCC officer (John Willett) in September to discuss the future of the role going forward. Agreed John will forward to the group, details and reports which demonstrate the benefits of the role since its inception in August 2015. Action John Whittington
Mike asked what the difference is between the two ‘projects’. John will enquire and also advised that he could invite the officer from Arun/Worthing for a visit to explain to us further.
The group discussed the merit of holding an officer presentation with key agencies attending to explore the two ideas above. It was agreed that a suitable date and forum would be to provide a presentation at the next Safer Rother & Safer Hastings Partnership Board meeting on 23rd September. Mike suggested inviting CGL/STAR, Michael Courts, Simon Hubbard, Paul Cosson, Rob Cowan, Chris Barkshire-Jones, John Whittington, Mike Hepworth, Aidan Cornwall & Sarah Godley plus a rep from ESCC Mike will take this forward as John is on holiday for 2 weeks. Action MH
Breach of Licensing Conditions - Update (Aidan Cornwall)
Off-licences under scrutiny are one in Robertson Street and two in lower Queens Road. Mike will discuss this with Bob Brown (Council Licensing Manager) at their 1-2-1 this afternoon. Action Mike Hepworth
Agreed that Aidan will schedule a meeting to review evidence links etc. with the Police (including Police Licensing officers), Paul Cosson (including CCTV & Wardens) and Bob Brown. Action Aidan Cornwall
Noted that Chris advises Licensing Committee and the Chair of that Committee reviews anything regarding licensing (e.g. removal of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS), revocation of licences etc.).
Any Other Business
Multi-Agency Team created to address community issues in Newhaven: John Bownas forwarded a press release issued by Sussex Police on 07 August. His accompanying email (070819) enquired “……..I wonder if we should consider a similar news story linked to the new approach we are taking here?”
The group discussed this and Aidan said that he’d be reluctant to promote what we are doing yet and wait until we see some success. The group concurred.
Bexhill: Aidan advised that the town is experiencing increasing problems with drinking issues and the council is exploring similar paired working arrangements such as we have here in Hastings.
Date of Next Meeting
Thursday, 29th August 0930hrs, Council Chamber, Upper Ground Floor, Muriel Matters House.
Remaining schedule of meetings:
Thursday, 12th September 1200-1300hrs, Tressell Room (3rd Floor)
Tuesday, 24th September 1400-1500hrs, ditto
Monday, 7th October 1130-1230hrs, Committee Room 1, Upper Ground Floor
Thursday, 29th August @ 0930hrs, Council Chamber, Muriel Matters House.
Meeting closed: 1210hrs