Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: CR1, Muriel Matters House, Breeds Place, Hastings, TN34 3UY
Contact: Cherry Longley 451430
Items No. Item
PSPO PROGRESS MEETING
Consultation process commenced on Friday 24th March, which includes the Leader’s statement, press release and use of social media. Consultation period is of one-month duration and closes Friday 21st April.
A weekly review meeting (MH and CBJ) has been scheduled to gauge feedback so that changes/evidence gathering can be made during the consultation period.
Noted that to date nine responses have been received – all supporting the proposals; five making specific comments.
Noted that comments from the Sussex Police Crime Commissioner and ESCC are required. CML to chase first via Mervin Dadd. Action CML
Becky Shaw/Karl Taylor were contacted at ESCC. MH to chase up if/when necessary. Action MH
Fishermens Protection Society rep has spoken to KB regarding dog control on the Blue Stade areas. Noted that dog control has always been in effect in that area; the new PSPO has extended the order to the Stade Open Space.
A Special Cabinet meeting is scheduled to hear the review of consultation report on Monday 15th May. Reports required by Friday 8th May 1100hrs. MH to compile report and consultation feedback. Action MH
Agreed that during the ‘run up’ to implementation further notices/releases will be placed in the local paper/on social media using the signage images etc. that HBC will be erecting. Action KB/TH
The meeting discussed signage/locations/format.
· should it be Borough-wide?
· what type/format of signage (JW tabled small pictures/graphics)
· aggressive begging is a difficult one to illustrate
· when to complete proofs
· when to start manufacture (this may require a discussion with Cllr. Peter Chowney in view of Cabinet date 15th May and potential start of the Kingdom pilot 22nd May – SC commented that it would be preferable to combine the two ‘starts’) Action MH
· ESCC consent required for any signage that needs to be affixed to lampposts etc. Action MH/PC
· locations of signage to be decided (HM suggested that the existing signage location can be “re-used” with new signage, adding more if required) Action JW/PC/TD
· what kind of information to display (e.g. TD suggested a map showing all areas with picture icon signage in pertinent areas, include website so that persons can read exactly what the orders cover/intend)
· for example, alcohol ban signs be placed in the more populated/troublesome areas but incorporating words “borough-wide”; possibility to instal further signage if necessary in future.
· noted that Dog Control Orders will be superseded by the PSPOs.
· noted that other bylaws are in force and require discussion first (e.g. parks and pleasure boats). Action MH/CBJ/MD/TD/KB
· CBJ mentioned that registered commonland (e.g. Ghyllside Green) will need to be considered too.
JW tabled two maps and explained that the PSPOs overlap in some areas. Agreed that HBC Legal study the areas and report back to next meeting. Action CBJ/HM
PC advised that the survey of the foreshore is almost complete.
If possible, signage should be placed at rail stations/gateways to town/car parks to inform our visitors/tourists. Action JW/PC
Agreed that KB/JW/PC/TD meet to discuss locations, what type of signage might be suitable combining with site visits to certain areas. Action KB/JW/PC/TD
UPDATE: Site visit arranged for town centre/foreshore Thursday 6th April 1400hrs JW/KB/PC attending.
Although not confirmed and notwithstanding further work with HBC Legal it is hoped that Kingdom may commence on or around 22nd May. SC suggested lining up the implementation of the PSPOs with that date.
Agreed that SC will for contact name for contract work to CBJ/HM. Action SC
Kingdom will work to the new Enforcement Policy.
TD enquired if Kingdom will be operating in parks and open spaces. MH replied that initially they will work the seafront and town centre areas. However swopping intelligence re ‘hot spots’ should be fed back to PC. Action MD/TD MH confirmed that the Rangers/Wardens will continue to issue FPNs etc.
Enforcement Policy Review
PC has completed first draft. JW has forwarded the ASB Tools and Powers to be inserted. Agreed that the PSPO areas need to be reflected in the policy. Action PC
There will be a variation to FPN enforcement. SC commented that a Kingdom sample prosecution file will be forwarded to HBC Legal. Action SC Agreed that PC will send draft Enforcement Policy in due course. Action PC
CBJ advised that she is liaising with RDC (Richard Parker-Harding) regarding continuing of RDCs enforcement powers. RDC will report to their Cabinet. Agreed CBJ will forward MH a copy of the report Action CBJ. A new HBC/RDC agreement has been drafted; although there is no effect now there could be in the future.
Date of Next Meeting
Further PSPO progress meetings will be combined with the PSPO Consultation feedback meetings.
Next meeting is therefore to be held on Tuesday, 11th April @ 1100hrs Tressell, 3rd Floor (an electronic invite has been sent to all present today).