Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber, Muriel Matters House, Breeds Place, Hastings, TN34 3UY. Please enter the building via the Tourist Information Centre entrance.
Contact: Emily Horne on 01424 451719 or email email@example.com
Items No. Item
Appointment of Chair for this Meeting
In accordance with the terms of reference of the Licensing Committee, the Chief Legal Officer invited nominations for the appointment of Chair for the duration of the meeting. Councillor Edwards moved that Councillor Sinden should take the Chair. This was seconded by Councillor Roberts.
RESOLVED (unanimously) that Councillor Sinden be appointed as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Apologies for absence
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 23 April 2018 be approved and signed by the Chair as a true record.
Declarations of Interest
Notification of Additional Urgent Items
- Appendix A - Application Pack , item 19. PDF 1 MB
- Appendix B - Old Roomz licence and location plan , item 19. PDF 530 KB
- Appendix C - Representation from Environmental Protection and letter from Planning , item 19. PDF 203 KB
Members of the Committee, Officers and the applicant introduced themselves. Councillor Sinden set out the procedure that the Sub-Committee would adopt (in accordance with Standard Practice).
The Licensing Manager, Mr Brown, presented the report of the Assistant Director of Environment and Place in respect of an application made on 20th April 2018 for a new premises licence for Cactus Hound, 33-35 Western Road, St. Leonards on Sea.
The premises has held a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 for a number of years under a reduced operating schedule.
The application requests the following hours:
· To have Plays and Films, Monday to Sunday, 12.00hrs to 23.59hrs.
· To have Live Music, Recorded Music and Dance, Sunday to Wednesday 12.00hrs to 23.30hrs, Thursday to Saturday 12.00hrs to 02.30hrs.
· To have Late night refreshment Thursday to Saturday, 23.00hrs to 02.00hrs.
· To have supply of Alcohol for “On” sales on Monday to Wednesday from 12.00hrs to 23.00hrs, Thursday to Saturday 12.00hrsto 02.00hrs, Sunday 12.00hrs to 22.00hrs.
· To have opening hours of the premises, Monday to Wednesday from 09.00hrs to 23.59hrs, Friday and Saturday 09.00hrs to 03.00hrs, Sunday 09.00hrs to 11.00hrs. (This is believed to be an error and should read 23.00hrs).
· In addition, extra hours are requested on specific dates, as follows; To play recorded and live music to 02.30hrs and have late night refreshment and Alcohol to 02.00hrs on;
· Sunday and Monday of Easter Bank Holidays, Sunday and Monday of May Bank Holidays, Sunday and Monday of Spring Bank Holiday, Sunday and Monday of Summer Bank Holiday, Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve, All Hallows Eve and Summer and Winter Solstices.
When submitting an application for a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 the applicant is asked to describe what steps they intend to take to promote the four licensing objectives:-
· the prevention of crime and disorder,
· public safety,
· prevention of public nuisance,
· protection of children from harm.
In this case, the applicant has made a separate declaration in their application together with the Business Plan (Appendix A of the agenda).
Mr Brown, Licensing Manager, advised that an error had been made in the application. The applicant had applied to have the opening hours of the premises on Sunday from 09.00hrs to 11.00hrs. This is believed to have been an error and should read 23.00hrs. He said the Environmental Health Officer had suggested reducing the hours of operation in Condition 9 of his response to the application:-
9) Standard Hours of operation should be restricted to a terminal hour of 00:30hrs on Friday / Saturday and 23:30hrs, Sunday through Thursday to ensure the protection of residents from unwanted noise in a noise sensitive area. This will also apply to non –standard hours specified due to the likelihood of noise disturbance outside of the usual business hours.
Mr Brown read the consultation response received from the Planning Department (Appendix C of the agenda). He advised this was for information and must be considered separately.
In his submission, Mr Bryant, Senior Environmental Health ... view the full minutes text for item 19.
Additional urgent items (if any)