Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber, Aquila House, Breeds Place, Hastings, TN34 3UY. Please enter the building via the Tourist Information Centre entrance.
Contact: Emily Horne on 01424 451719 or email email@example.com
Note: The recording of this meeting is available to view online at www.hastings.gov.uk/my_council/cm/?video=185611099
Items No. Item
Appointment of Chair for this meeting
In accordance with the terms of reference of the Licensing Committee, the Chief Legal Officer invited nominations for the appointment of Chair for the duration of the meeting. Councillor Dowling moved that Councillor Sabetian should take the Chair. This was seconded by Councillor Batsford.
RESOLVED (unanimously) that Councillor Sabetian be appointed as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Apologies for Absence
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 31 May 2016 be approved and signed by the Chair as a true record.
Declarations of Interest
Notification of any additional urgent items
- Enc. 1 for review of premises licence. NISA Local , item 62. PDF 2 MB
- Enc. 2 for review of premises licence. NISA Local , item 62. PDF 189 KB
- Enc. 3 for review of premises licence. NISA Local , item 62. PDF 2 MB
The Licence Holder/DPS had been invited to attend the hearing, but was not present. Cllr Dowling Proposed that the Hearing continue, which was seconded by Councillor Batsford.
Councillor Sabetian set out the procedure that the Sub-Committee would adopt (in accordance with Standard Practice).
The Licensing Manager, Bob Brown, presented the report of the Assistant Director of Environment and Place in respect of an application for the review of the premises licence under Section 51 of the Licensing Act 2003 at NISA Local, Parkstone Parade, Parkstone Road, Hastings. Mr Brown, Licensing Manager, presented the report.
Mr Scrase, Senior Licensing Officer (Applicant), said he instigated the review of the premises licence under the licensing objectives ‘the Prevention of Crime and Disorder and the Protection of Children from Harm’ as a result of evidence provided by Karis Valli, Senior Environmental Health Officer (Food/Health & safety), following a food safety inspection. He said a number of conditions attached to the premises licence had been breached and so he submitted a review to address the ongoing poor management and supervision of the premises.
The existing use of the shop covers the premises for the ‘off sales’ supply by retail of Alcohol. It currently operates under the following trading hours: Sale of alcohol – Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 23.00hrs.
The shop was granted a premises licence on 13th June 2007 to Millenium C Stores under Mr Uday Patel. On 28th October 2008, the premises was changed to NISA local. On 25th November 2009, the premises holder Mr Amit Gohil transferred the licence and then on 11th October 2010 it was transferred to another limited company name, KP & UK Ltd by the same person. On 11th May 2012, the premises licence was transferred from KP & UK Ltd to Ganas Food and Wine Ltd. The registered company owner is currently Mr Kanapathillai Sanjeev.
Mr Scrase said he received notification on 19th April 2016 from the Environmental Health Department that the shop had changed ownership to VJN Groceries Ltd, although it was still registered under Ganas Food and Wine Ltd, the directors details were still the same. He referred to his statement on page 15 of the agenda and spoke about the events leading up to the review.
- On 4th May, Mr Scrase said he visited the shop, neither the personal licence holder or manager were present. Mr Sanjeev was confirmed as the owner.
- On 11th May, both Mr Scrase and Mr Brown visited the premises, there was 1 member of staff on duty at the time. He did not know the designated premises supervisor( DPS) and was unable to produce a list of persons authorised to sell alcohol by him. There were customers in the shop. Mr Scrase advised that further sales were unlawful and asked Mr Gupta to contact him.
- On 12th May, Mr Scrase had not received any contact.
- On 17th May, Mr Scrase visited the store. Mr Gupta was present, he confirmed he was the ... view the full minutes text for item 62.
Additional urgent items (if any)