Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber, Muriel Matters House, Breeds Place, Hastings, TN34 3UY. Please enter the building via the Tourist Information Centre entrance.
Contact: Emily Horne on 01424 451719 email: email@example.com
Note: The recording of this meeting is available to view online at: https://www.hastings.gov.uk/my_council/cm/?video=235330690
Items No. Item
Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Councillor Roberts.
Declarations of Interest
Notification of any additional urgent items
(Miss S Roots – Principal Planner)
Demolish the existing redundant local authority public convenience roof and superstructure complete down to ground floor slab level and finish the resulting flat pedestrian area with pre-cast concrete paving slabs with an appearance complementary to the surrounding pedestrianised town centre surface finishes. The existing basement level service directly void beneath the superstructure is to be retained.
Public toilet (closed)
The Planning Services Manager, Mrs Evans, presented this report for demolition of the existing redundant local authority public convenience roof and superstructure (250sqm) complete down to ground floor slab level and finish the resulting flat pedestrian area and finish with pre-cast concrete paving slabs. The existing basement level service void directly beneath the superstructure is to be retained.
Members were informed of an update to the report:-
Additional condition No. 6:
With the exception of internal works, the building works required to carry out the development allowed by this permission must only be carried out within the following times:-
08:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday
08:00 – 13:00 on Saturdays
No working on Sundays or Public Holidays
Reason: To safeguard the amenity of adjoining residents
Members were shown plans and photographs of the application site.
The Planning Services Manager explained the toilet block is within Hastings Town Centre and lies just outside the Town Centre Conservation Area. There are no listed buildings immediately abutting the site. The toilet block was closed to members of the public in April 2017. She stated that there were other public conveniences within a short walking distance of the site and as such the loss of the use was considered acceptable.
Councillor Wincott proposed a motion to approve the application as set out in the resolution below including the addition of Condition 6. This was seconded by Councillor Scott.
RESOLVED – by (8 votes to 2 against) that planning permission be granted subject to the following conditions:-
1. The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission;
2. The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans: BG/P4/2/2A, 2B, BG/P4/2/3A, 3B;
3. Prior to demolition commencing, samples of the proposed paving to be used to cover over the site shall be submitted to, and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Thereafter the works shall be carried out in accordance with the approved paving samples;
4. No development above ground shall take place until full details of the hard landscape works have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority and these works shall be carried out as approved. These details shall show how the new paving will fit into the wider context of the paving patterns immediately abutting all sides of the site;
5. All hard landscape works shall be carried out in accordance with the approved details; and
6. With the exception of internal works the ... view the full minutes text for item 4a
The Planning Services Manager reported that three planning appeals had been received and three planning appeals that had been dismissed. She also reported on the number of delegated decisions.
All matters had arisen between 14 August to September 2017.
The report was noted.