Issue - meetings
Potential Sports Village Development
Meeting: 06/03/2017 - Cabinet (Item 78)
- Appdx - Potential Sports Village Development, item 78 PDF 357 KB
- Appdx 2 - Potential Sports Village Development, item 78 PDF 635 KB
- Appdx 3 - Potential Sports Village Development, item 78 PDF 468 KB
- Appdx 4 - Potential Sports Village Development, item 78 PDF 418 KB
- SWOT - Potential Sports Village Development, item 78 PDF 51 KB
Councillors Forward and Fitzgerald, having declared a prejudicial interest in this item, left the chamber during the debate.
The Director of Operational Services, presented a report to brief Cabinet on the proposals for the development of improved sports facilities to replace those currently found at Hastings United Football Club (HUFC) and Horntye Cricket Club and developing around 400 new homes.
The scheme is jointly proposed by Bohemia Hastings LLP and Keepmoat Ltd. The sports facilities will be owned by an amended Horntye Charitable Trust.
The proposed site for the new sports facilities is at Bexhill Road Recreation Ground. Sports facilities include a football stadium for Hastings United Football Club; netball courts, 4 petanque rinks, amongst other proposals listed in the report.
The related housing development is at Pilot Field (Elphinstone Road); Horntye Sports Complex and Bexhill Road Recreation Ground. Keepmoat intend to develop c396 homes which under the scheme will fund the new sports facilities and stadium.
Proposals include the sale of the Council’s sites if satisfactory terms are reached on value and if it can be assured about the benefits of the scheme and is deliverability. The planning issues involved will be the subject of separate processes at Rother District Council and Hastings Borough Council, these will include consideration of policy, flooding and environmental issues.
A further report will come to cabinet for a decision subject to finances and suitable terms in response to the Consultants report.
Members welcomed the proposal.
Councillor Chowney proposed a slight amendment to recommendation 1, to include the words ‘in consultation with the Leader of the Council’.
Councillor Chowney proposed approval of the amended recommendations to the report, which was seconded by Councillor Poole.
RESOLVED (unanimously) that:
1. That Cabinet agree that the Director of Operational Services, in consultation with the Leader of the Council, establishes
terms with Bohemia Hastings LLP and Keepmoat Ltd for the proposed
development of new sports facilities at Bexhill Recreation Ground and related housing development at Pilot Field (Elphinstone Road), Horntye Sports Complex and Bexhill Road Recreation Ground.
2. In taking its decision Cabinet will consider the outcome of the independent study of the benefits of the proposed scheme and its viability currently commissioned by the Council [at the developer’s expense].
3. The final terms to be subject to Cabinet approval and such terms would include, amongst others:-
i. Sale of land at market value to Bohemia LLP and/or Keepmoat Limited subject to negotiation and project viability.
ii. Subject to enforceable guarantees that protect the Council’s interests in the event that the delivery of the sports facilities and housing are not delivered within a timely manner.
iii. Transfer of land to be subject to the necessary planning permissions required from Hastings Borough Council and Rother District Council for delivery of the whole scheme.
iv. Assurances that the Charity Commission and Sports England are satisfied with the proposed changes to sports facilities in Hastings.
4. Officers should explore the possibility of acquiring market homes thorough acquisition by ... view the full minutes text for item 78