Sex Establishments Policy Review
Decision Maker: Cabinet, Full Council
Decision status: Recommmend Forward to Council
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Sex Establishments Policy to be reviewed to take account of changes to the Borough, the latest legal advice, and consultation responses. It also upholds the promise to review the existing policy as appropriate.
The Assistant Director, Environment and Place, submitted a report to provide Cabinet with feedback from a consultation on proposed changes to the council's sex establishments policy, and seek Cabinet approval to recommend that Full Council adopts the updated policy.
The Licensing Manager presented the report to the Cabinet.
There is no statutory requirement for the Council to have a specific policy on sex establishments. However, following a relatively high profile application for a sexual entertainment venue 6 years ago, Councillors indicated that adoption of a clear policy would help make the application process more transparent to all concerned, including applicants and objectors.
The existing policy was developed in 2015 and has been reviewed and updated by the Licensing Manager. The policy has stood the test of time and has not been challenged. However, it required updating to reflect the changes to the borough over the past 4 years and take account of the latest legal advice.
The main change from the existing policy has been to propose reducing the numbers of such establishments deemed to be appropriate for the borough down from the existing one sex shop and one sexual entertainment venue to just one sexual entertainment venue.
Councillor Chowney proposed approval of the recommendations of the report, seconded by Councillor Rogers.
That Cabinet endorse the draft policy attached at appendix 1, and recommend that it is adopted by Full Council.
Reasons for the decision:
From time to time the council's sex establishments’ policy should be reviewed and updated. The existing policy was adopted in July 2015 and is now due for a review.
Report author: Bob Brown
Publication date: 08/08/2019
Date of decision: 08/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 08/07/2019 - Cabinet
- Sex Establishments Policy Review PDF 136 KB
- App 1 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Draft Policy PDF 169 KB
- App 2 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Castleham PDF 510 KB
- App 3 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Central St Leonards PDF 565 KB
- App 4 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Ivyhouse Lane PDF 547 KB
- App 5 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Ponswood PDF 639 KB
- App 6 Sex Establishments Policy Revi Town Centre-Old Town PDF 597 KB
- App 7 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Whitworth Road PDF 436 KB
- App 8 for Sex Establishments Policy Review - Ward boundaries PDF 1 MB